Kitchen Stories w Preety 🍴 | Karah Prashad




Karah Prashad 

Karah Prashad is sacred halva served in the Gurudwaras. It is made with whole-wheat flour, ghee, and sugar. After the prayer is over, it is served to all the attendees.

Born in Patiala, one of the sweetest memories of my childhood is visiting Dukhniwaran Sahib, not only for praying there but to enjoy the Prashad!

My father had many strict rules and one among them was a rule of taking an equal amount of money from his salary and visit Dukhniwaran Sahib, Kali Devi Temple, and Peer Baba Dargah. And this visit used to happen on the first Sunday of every month. I used to love those Sunday trips for many reasons. That first Sunday used to give me my pocket money for the month and a visit to our relatives and friends.


That special Sunday used to start with our visit to Dukhniwaran Sahib. From the morning itself, my brother and I would portray our best behavior to impress our father. While entering the gurudwara itself, he had to hear our pleadings to get extra Prashad. So, he used to do buy three servings of Prashad. Two of them used to go directly in the car and one we used to take inside the Gurudwara to offer. 

I can still relish the taste and fragrance of the hot delicious Prashad. I miss those fights for small bites of Prashad with my brother.

History repeats itself. And now, my kids cherish the same sweetness and the same fights for Prashad, whenever they're back from the Gurudwara or when I make some at home. 


Nutritional values (approximate) of 100gm of the Karah Prashad

  • Calories - 265
  • Fat - 12gm
  • Carbohydrates - 60gm
  • Protein - 1gm

Do reach out to me if you'd like to know the recipe or if you have a sweet memory to share :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog